It's been over 3 months in the making but the Social Butterfly quilt is complete and in the hands of its new owner, my mother-in-law. I think it turned out beautifully and I was very pleased with both the piecing and the quilting.
You may recall this project started from a kit purchased from The Fat Quarter Shop and the fabric and pattern were designed by Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique. I knew it was the perfect choice for my m-i-l who loves butterflies. She had yet to receive a handmade quilt from me and I wanted it to be just the right one. The cutting for the pattern was quite intensive but once that was done and my pieces were very well organized, it wasn't too bad joining the units. At first, I completed one block at a time so as not to confuse myself but as I got the hang of it I started doing several at a time. There are only 9 blocks in the whole quilt but there were many pieces, some partial seams, and various colour combos to keep straight.
When the quilt top was pieced I knew I wanted to quilt it using the #4 Bernina serpentine stitch. While it's not a difficult way to quilt I was very careful to make sure I always had a full bobbin to avoid having to try to match up an interrupted stitch - a real pain. I did end up with one or two issues of broken thread along the way and I was forced to do my best to hide the flaws. It was also quite tedious to do the quilting, line after line, across the quilt and I got very bored! By the end of it, I was glad it was done!
I hand stitched down the binding to make sure I had a lovely finish to the quilt. I made a custom label with our photo on it and a birthday greeting (along with the when, where, and by whom info). Now that's done I can move on. The temperature is getting colder and it's time now to hunker down with some new piecing projects!