Well, it's slow progress that's for sure! Here are the 3 English Paper Pieced flowers I've assembled so far. I haven't had much time for hand sewing while working on finishing up the quilting on my winter quilt tops and the interruption of that gift quilt I'm working on. However, with summer holidays coming up I plan on getting several more flowers completed.
I have used up all the 1930s Playtime fabric so I ran to the quilt shop and picked up a couple more charm packs. I'm not really working on a specific project so I'll just continue to make and sew hexies and then figure out what to do with them later. Of course, the LQS didn't have any matching fabric or 1930s reproduction pre-cuts so I just chose the closest looking line. This is Garden Project by tim and beck for Moda. I bought 2 charm packs and hopefully I can make something out of that. The prints are quite sweet with strawberries, flowers, and fruit (plus some nice tone-on-tone solids).
With those first few flowers I was gluing a 3" square of fabric to the hexi template and then trimming away the excess with scissors. I'm in a rush now but still prefer sewing through a trimmed shape rather than a square. So I stacked the fabric and used my rotary cutter and ruler to quickly cut the corners. Wow, it is super fast to do it that way and now I can do the gluing assembly line fashion and quickly baste. I've had to lighten up my portable kit and I'm just taking the essentials on the road. I'm using a cello zip bag that my fabric came in from the Fat Quarter Shop because it's a little sturdier than a regular sandwich zipper bag. I can load up the pre-glued hexies and fabric and simply add a spool of thread, a couple of needles, and my Clover threader (I cannot leave that behind!).
I'm excited to take along my English Paper Piecing and at least have something to sew! I'm slowly doing the quilting on the butterfly quilt and using #4 wavy stitch again because I love it so much. The texture on the Hashtag quilt is amazing and I think that sort of honeycomb effect is perfect for the butterflies. It's like their little trail of air current as they flutter through the wind. I think it is going to be a beautiful quilt when I'm all finished. My deadline is September so I imagine I shouldn't have a problem. I plan on hand-stitching the binding as well.
When that's all wrapped up I have to quilt the Vintage project and then I have one more UFO from the winter. The Piece of Cake 2 quilt is going to be fun to work on and the new-to-me thing I want to try next is to quilt it using variegated thread. That's something I've wanted to do for a long time and this quilt is the ideal canvas for that. I'm so excited to choose my Aurifil thread colour(s)!