It took a bit of math and graphing but I got the pieced backing done for the Vintage quilt. I had enough fabric from the quilt top to make three more Granny Square blocks and I decided they'd be better used in the backing rather than in a pillow (or 3!). It really helped to refer back to the FREE Craftsy class, Creative Quilt Backs. Elizabeth Hartman is one of my favourite Craftsy instructors and she does a super job explaining how to create beautiful and interesting quilt backs. I love that the class is FREE because it's one I go back to over and over again. How nice is it that Craftsy just gave that to us!?!!!
I did have to purchase some extra yardage for the remainder of the backing and even though I didn't have, nor could I get, any Bonnie & Camille fabric that was suitable, I think I found a great substitute. That's a lot of red print to deal with so I bordered the blocks with some white sashing. I wanted the pieced section to be in the upper third of the back and I think I worked out the sizes to make it the right proportions. I can't wait to see it all put together!
Speaking of which, I got the Wheels quilt basted (using my amazing folding tables in the garage and 505 spray method), which was so easy since the quilt is on the smaller side and square. I decided to do a feathered wreath in each wheel and I won't lie, it's been challenging. The first issue I encountered was that my template was too large. I ended up just buying another one to fit instead of trying to work around it. Then I realized that my fabric waffles between light and dark and that means difficult marking. I love the Clover blue water soluble pen for the light fabric but it doesn't show on the dark. I tried both a pounce pad (which I kept rubbing off), a sliver of soap (hard to see), and the Fons & Porter white pencil. That was the what worked best in the end but I have to alternate between both pen and pencil within each wheel. It's a pain and still difficult to see. I've had to improvise a lot of the feathers!
It takes me quite some time to get the wreaths quilted and sadly, the last one I did looked great on the front but was a tension-gone-crazy mess on the back. It took me my whole evening to pick it all out. What a disappointment. I'm sure this project is testing me because it's a gift for someone and I really want it to look nice. The feathers I've already quilted are technically sound and well shaped but very difficult to see on the front of the quilt. The look and texture is really lovely on the back but that cream thread just doesn't stand out on the top. I'm half way done and then will switch to some more free-hand quilting in the sashing. That work should go faster and show up better. I just have to choose which design to use!
The Piece of Cake 3 quilt has been labelled and washed. It's now one of my favourites. The clamshells gave the perfect texture and look really sharp - you can't notice my bad clams at all! One thing I did differently on this label was to actually sign my name. Although I entered all the data on my computer, I quickly added an autograph and the year using the IdentiPen given to me by Gail Kessler. It turned out great and I am going to continue that addition. It's something I always do on the cover page of my scrapbooks too, in order to leave my mark.
Of course, given all those coloured fabrics, I washed the quilt using my favourite Soak Wash and tossed in a Color Catcher sheet. The quilt didn't bleed at all (not that I expected it to since I'm using beautiful Moda fabrics) but I always like a bit of insurance in the wash.
Well, time for me to get back to the feathered wreaths. I've left the hardest blocks for last but really want to get this one done so I can make the recipient a gorgeous, personalized label.